Colored diamonds duked it out this week in Geneva with the first to grab the headlines being a Fancy Vivid Pink diamond that sold at Christie’s for $28.8 million on November 10th. The top lot of the auction house’s Geneva Magnificent Jewels sale, the diamond, now named ‘Sweet Josephine’, set a new auction record for any vivid pink diamond after being purchased by a private Asian buyer. The precious pink stone helped the sale’s total of $109.5 million, selling 80 percent by lot and 86 percent by value.
‘We have had a very busy few days here in Geneva as clients have come from all over the world,’ said Rahul Kadakia, International Head of Christie’s Jewellery Department after the auction. ‘Selling the largest vivid pink cushion-shaped diamond to come to auction is a privilege and to sell it for a new world auction record prize is a strong indication that there is still demand from clients from the end of the market for these truly precious stones,’ Kadakia continued.
The second highest earning lot was a 50.48-carat pear-shaped diamond graded D color, IF clarity and Type IIa. The remarkable stone reeled in nearly $8 million. Other top lots (and important stones) included:
- A 91.81-carat Fancy Vivid yellow diamond sold for $4.3 million
- A 118.88-carat Burmese sapphire sold for $4.2 million
- A pair of emerald and diamond earrings, the emeralds of Colombian origin and weighing 13.56 and 12.91 carats respectively, sold for nearly $4 million
The sale’s cover star, an historic early 19th century emerald and diamond necklace, fetched $2.6 million while a natural pearl and diamond necklace brought in $2.2 million.
Additional highlights included:
- An emerald and diamond fringe necklace, by Boucheron, sold for $1.2 million, double its high estimate.
- The Chaumet Westminster Tiara fetched $677,899
- A diamond and onyx ‘Double Panther’ bangle, by Cartier, sold for $473,628
- A coral, onyx and diamond ‘Serpenti’ bracelet-watch, by Bulgari, sold for $377,501
- A jadeite, ruby and diamond ‘Serpenti’ bracelet-watch, by Bulgari, sold for $341,453